DeLoach To Face Reese In Millrose Long Jump
Last year at the Millrose Games, Russian Olga Kucherenko became the first woman to ever leap 22 feet at The Armory. This year at Millrose she might find a lot of company.
First Olympic gold medalist Brittney Reese — who has won five straight world events and has a lifetime best of 7.23 meters (23-7) — signed on. Now Olympic bronze medalist Janay DeLoach, who leapt 7.08 meters (23-2 3/4) at the Olympic Trials, is in along with Whitney Gipson, who won the NCAA title for Texas Christian University both indoor and outdoor a year ago.
Despite a final leap of 6.97 meters (22-10 1/2) at the Trials, Gipson just missed advancing to the London Games.
DeLoach's Olympic success was not a surprise, after all she'd earned a silver behind Reese at the IAAF's 2012 World Indoor Championships in Turkey. She'd also twice won the U.S. Indoor national crown.
The long jump runway is guaranteed to burn on Feb. 16.
To stay atop all the Millrose Games' news, please visit Millrose-Games.org. Here are the announcements to date:
• Millrose Coming to ESPN in 2013
• Symmonds, Solomon To Reunite
• Lagat To Chase Records At Millrose Again
• Jager, Ritz Join Lagat, Levins & Lalang In Two-Mile
• Richardson Hurdles Into Millrose Games
• London Gold Medalists Suhr, Reese Commit
• High School Mile Qualifying
• Millrose Trials Information Released